Being able to study in Europe is the dream of every student. In recent years, some lesser-known European countries have also surfaced with their exceptional professional education programs. Bulgaria is one of those countries. It provides high-quality education with low tuition and low cost of living. The entry requirements are lenient and staying in the country after completing education is common. Many immigrants have started their own businesses in Bulgaria because innovation is highly sought-after and appreciated in this country. In this article, you can find everything you need to know about studying in Bulgaria along with some of the best scholarships that you can apply to.
IELTS Requirement in Bulgarian Universities:
The universities in Bulgaria teach in English, French, Bulgarian, and German. International students mostly apply to programs that are taught in English. The universities require that the students whose native language is not English should submit scores of language proficiency tests like IELTS. The minimum score required is 6.
Working on Study VISA in Bulgaria:
International students are free to take up part-time work in order to take care of their living expenses. The salary for part-time work is not enough to cover both living and educational expenses. Students who are from the EU are not required to apply for a work permit while students from outside of the EU have to attain a work permit which will let them work for twenty hours per week. One thing to remember is that Bulgaria is not an easy country to find part-time work in. You have to possess at least some understanding of the Bulgarian language to find work.
Living cost in Bulgaria:
Bulgaria is one of the cheapest countries in Europe. Students here usually get by with 600 to 800 USD (rent inclusive). The rent prices are fairly cheap as well, ranging in between 300 USD to 390 USD.
Best Universities of Bulgaria
Bulgarian higher educational institutions are quickly getting popularity among the international students’ community. The best institutions are in the Bulgarian capital, Sofia. Some of the top universities of Bulgaria are, Medical University-Varna, Angel Kanchev University of Ruse, Technical University of Sofia, New Bulgarian University, and Sofia University St. Kliment Ohridski.
Scholarships in Bulgaria:
The scholarships available in Bulgaria are both partially and fully funded. Students can over their study or living expenses through these scholarships. These scholarships are discussed below:
#1 Scholarships by the Bulgarian Government:
Bulgaria is considered a cheap European country when it comes to paying off tuition. Students who are from Bulgaria and European Union can enjoy even more subsidized education. The scholarships by the Bulgarian government are for those students who are from EU/EEA. These are partial scholarships that are only available to students who show tremendous potential. These scholarships are only for the programs which are taught in the Bulgarian language.
#2 Scholarships by the Varna Free University:
The Varna Free University of Bulgaria offers many scholarships to the incoming cohort every year. The decisive factor is just one; academic excellence. The students should have an impressive educational record as well as should have a creative side.
The sports scholarships give scholarships on the basis of students’ interests and background in athletics and sports.
Some scholarships at the Varna Free University give a full tuition fee waiver and some give a partial tuition fee waiver. Some scholarships give out a monthly stipend to recipients as well.
#3 EESA Scholarships:
Under the Eastern European Study Abroad Scholarships students can study in an Eastern European country for summer months, a semester, a year, for short-term or a gap year. Bulgaria is also listed among those countries. The scholarship worth is as follows:
- Students who want to pursue a summer program and who have a CGPA of 2.5 or more can get a scholarship worth between 100 USD to 600 USD.
- Students who want to pursue a year-long program and have a CGPA of 2.5 or more can get a scholarship worth between 1,000 USD to 7,000 USD.
- Students with a financial need for the scholarship can get an award of 2,500 USD (they have to possess a CGPA of at least 2.5)
- The merit-based scholarship is worth 2,500 USD but the applicants should have a CGPA of at least 3.25.
- The recipients can get an additional 100 USD grant if they agree to write about their scholarship experience on the EESA website. They have to submit one article/piece every two weeks.
#4 Scholarships by OppU Achievers:
Another scholarship that international students can apply to is this OppU Achievers Scholarship that asks for merit and leadership skills from its recipients. The total funding for this award is 2,500 per recipient which can take care of the student’s tuition and administrative expenses. Applicants must be studying in any one of the listed universities in Bulgaria. They should have an overall GPA of 3 or more.
#5 Scholarships by the American University in Bulgaria:
There are many scholarships available at the American University in Bulgaria. These scholarships are as follows:
- To start off, there are merit-based scholarships at the AUBG. These scholarships do not require a separate application. Students are automatically considered for the scholarship.
- The need-based award requires that the applicants submit a separate application.
- The Gibson Black Sea award is given to students from Turkey, Romania, Ukraine, or Georgia and is worth 5,000 USD. It is a need-based award that is given to its recipients for up to four consecutive years.
- The Pride Campaign Award is 3,000 USD. It is given to those students who have impressive grades in high school and above-average TOEFL scores.
- Philhellene scholarship is for students from Greece. It is given for the first year of studies and its value is 2,000 USD.
- Yury Zabello scholarships are for students from Belarus. These scholarships are given to only two students per year and are valued at 2,500 USD.
- USIT scholarships are worth around 2,500 USD. These are available to students from Eastern Europe or an underdeveloped country in Asia.
- Serdika Awards are given to four students from the incoming cohort for a year only. These are worth 2,400 USD.
- The Dynamic Resource scholarship is for students who have scored outstandingly well in the TOEFL test.