International students will be invited to apply for Gates Cambridge Scholarships for the batch of 2023 from September 2, 2022. Each year Gates Cambridge offers 80 full-cost covering scholarships to outstanding applicants from countries outside the UK to pursue a full-time postgraduate degree in any subject available at the University of Cambridge.
Approximately two-thirds of these awards will be offered to Ph.D. students, with approximately 25 awards available in the US round and 55 available in the International round.
There are at least 225 Scholars from 50 countries studying in Cambridge at any one time who pursue the full range of subjects available at the university and are spread across its departments and Colleges.
The Gates Cambridge mission is to build a global network of future leaders committed to improving the lives of others. It aims to achieve this mission by selecting outstanding scholars, providing them with financial and non-financial support at one of the world’s leading universities, and facilitating community building at and beyond Cambridge.
Coverage of Gates Cambridge Scholarships:
A Gates Cambridge Scholarship covers the full cost of studying at Cambridge. It also provides additional funding for buying literature, attending conferences, and conducting experimental work.
- The University academic Fees at the appropriate rate. The University Composition Fee varies for different types of students; applicants should see the Graduate Studies prospectus for full details about precise amounts. Where a student from the European Union has been successful in gaining a fees award from public authorities they must accept this and the Trust will not pay these fees.
- A maintenance allowance for a single student (£17,848 for 12 months at the 2023 rate; pro rata for courses shorter than 12 months) – for Ph.D. scholars, the award is for up to 4 years
- One economy single airfare at both the beginning and end of the course
- Inbound visa costs & the cost of the Immigration Health Surcharge
The Gates Trust also considers applications for several types of additional funding on a discretionary basis:
- Academic development funding – from up to £500 to up to £2,000, dependent on the length of your course, to attend conferences and courses.
- Family allowance – up to £10,120 for one child and up to £14,440 for two or more children (2023 rate). No funding is provided for a partner.
- Fieldwork – you may apply to keep up to your normal maintenance allowance while on fieldwork as part of your Ph.D. (the Trust does not fund other fieldwork costs as these should be funded by the University Composition Fee).
- Maternity/Paternity funding – should you require it, you may apply to intermit your studies for up to 6 months and continue to receive your maintenance allowance during this time
- Hardship funding – for unforeseen difficulties
Gates Cambridge Scholarships Eligibility Criteria:
You can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship if you are:
- The citizen of any country outside the United Kingdom
- Applying to pursue one of the following full-time residential courses of study at the University of Cambridge: Ph.D., MSc/MLitt One year postgraduate course
- If you are currently studying at Cambridge and wish to apply for a new postgraduate course you can apply for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship.
Courses NOT eligible for Gates Cambridge Scholarships:
- Any Undergraduate degree such as BA (undergraduate) or BA affiliated (a second BA)
- Business Doctorate (BusD)
- Master of Business (MBA)
- Master of Finance (MFin)
- MBBChir Clinical Studies
- MD Doctor of Medicine degree (6 years, part-time)
- Graduate Course in Medicine (A101)
- Part-time degrees
- Non-degree courses
Documents Required for Gates Cambridge Scholarships:
You must submit these supporting documents with your application:
- Copies of the undergraduate or graduate certificates
- Research proposal for doctoral degree candidates
- A copy of a valid passport for at least one year
- Statement of intention
- CV for application
- Recommendation letters should be by at least two professors from the previous institute.
- Study plan
- Copies of all transcripts
- Scholarship Application Resume
- Letter of Motivation explaining the motive to apply for the Gate Cambridge scholarships
- Statement of purpose (SOP)
Application Procedure for Gates Cambridge Scholarships:
Applicants submit their Gates Cambridge Scholarship application for admission and funding (Gates Cambridge and other funding) via the University’s Graduate Application Portal (Link given at the end of the article).
- To be considered for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship you must complete the section to apply for admission to a course and a College place and the Gates Cambridge part of the funding section. Gates Cambridge has access to the full application for admission and funding when reviewing applications.
- The admission section: In this section, you are applying to a specific graduate course and a College place. You will provide all of the usual details about yourself, your academic background, plans, and suitability for the proposed course.
- Statement: In the application form they ask:
In no more than 3000 characters (approximately 500 words) please explain why you are applying for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship and how you meet the four main criteria.
- Gates Cambridge reference: In addition to two academic references for admission, Gates Cambridge applicants submit a reference about their fit with the scholarship. In the application form they ask:
Please give your assessment of the applicant’s suitability for a Gates Cambridge Scholarship. These are awarded on the following criteria: intellectual ability, justification for the choice, of course, a commitment to improving the lives of others, and leadership capacity.
Gates Cambridge Scholarship Application Deadline: Oct 15, 2022
Gates Cambridge manages two selection rounds each year. Applications for Gate Cambridge Scholarships 2023 will be open for consideration on September 2, 2022; whereas, the expected deadline is October 15, 2022. The deadline for Gate Cambridge Scholarships is in December. Applications for citizens of the US close in October.