Shanghai Government Scholarships 2023-2024 for Students
Applications for the Shanghai Government Scholarships (SGS Scholarships) 2023-2024 are now being accepted by foreign students who are interested in pursuing higher education in Shanghai. These fellowships are fully funded, and the advantages are comparable to those offered by the Chinese government (CGS).
The Shanghai Government Scholarship is awarded to outstanding overseas students who wish to further their education at East China Normal University by enrolling in either the bachelor’s, master’s, or doctoral degree program. Students for the undergraduate program who have an HSK-3 level or higher but do not have a qualifying level can enroll for a one-year pre-college program to learn Chinese with full scholarship sponsorship (the cutoff date is March 31). If, after completing the pre-college program, the applicant is unable to reach the HSK level required for qualification, the candidate will graduate as a language student.
The Shanghai Municipal Govt Scholarship was set up for international students with the goals of promoting the advancement of foreign student learning in Shanghai and encouraging an increasing number of talented foreign scholars and students to enroll at ECNU. Since its inception, the scholarship has been successful in accomplishing both of these goals.
Categories for the Shanghai Scholarships 2023
The fellowship offered by the Government of Shanghai is comprised of two distinct types, and the recipient will be selected on the basis of their entire profile.
Type A: Type A is the first category, and it is the one that gives out complete scholarships in addition to a monthly allowance of 2500 RMB for applicants who are studying for a bachelor’s degree, 3000 RMB for applicants who are studying master’s degrees, and a monthly allowance of 3500 RMB to candidates who are pursuing doctoral degrees. The full scholarship comes with a number of perks, including the remission of all tuition fees, housing on-site, and entire health coverage insurance.
Type B: The second category provides financial assistance in the form of a fellowship that covers a portion of the student’s tuition but does not provide a regular stipend. In addition to that, it offers health insurance.
Education & Duration:
- It’s possible that the standard 4-year timeframe for a bachelor’s degree might grow to 5 years if a required year of Chinese language study is included.
- It’s possible that the standard 2.5 to 3 years timeframe for a master’s degree might grow to 3.5 to 4 years if a required year of Chinese language study is included.
- A year of Chinese language study might add an extra year to a Ph.D. program’s required four-year time frame.
There will be no exceptions made to the terms outlined in the Admission Notice, which determines the actual scholarship period.
Criteria for Eligibility to Receive a Shanghai Scholarship in 2023
Candidates must satisfy all of the standards listed below in order to be considered for the Shanghai Government Scholarship, which is as follows:
- The candidate has to be fluent in either Chinese or English. One of those languages is required. Although taking the IELTS test isn’t required, candidates still need to demonstrate that they can fulfill the language requirement of their choosing.
- The applicant can’t be Chinese and they need to be in excellent health to be considered.
- Candidates for enrollment in a pre-college program are required to have completed high school or have an equivalent credential and be less than 23 years old.
- In order to be eligible for enrollment in a bachelor’s degree program, prospective students must be less than 25 years old and must possess a certificate from an accredited high school.
- Candidates for master’s programs are required to be under the age of 35 and to hold a bachelor’s degree in a relevant academic field. In addition, they should have relevant work experience. It is required that the degree be earned from a reputable educational institution.
- Candidates for doctorate programs are required to be under the age of 40 and to hold a master’s degree in a relevant subject area. Additionally, they should have relevant work experience. It is required that the degree be earned from a reputable educational institution.
- It is expected that applicants will have an academic history and track record that is both good and excellent.
- Candidates have a responsibility to ensure that they satisfy the entry requirements outlined by the institution or universities of their choice.
- It is not acceptable for applicants to be in possession of any other form of financial aid from the Chinese government.
How to Apply for Shanghai Government Scholarship?
In order to be considered for the Shanghai Government Scholarships, please submit your application in accordance with the following step-by-step instructions:
- Candidates must join and submit their applications online at http://study.edu.sh.gov.cn/en/ise.html. Please submit your application online, and don’t forget to download the application form.
- Candidates must enroll and submit their applications online through the websites of certain institutions affiliated with the Shanghai government. Apply application online and pay for application cost (if applicable). A list of affiliated universities is included at the end of this article.
- Print and download the application form after submitting the online form. Send 2 pairs of hard-copy application materials to the university to which you have applied: one set of original ones and one set of copies.
Documents Needed to Apply for a Shanghai Scholarship
There is no guarantee that all colleges will accept the same application materials. However, here is a rough checklist of things you would need to gather:
- Certified copies of each degree by SGS.
- Complete set of transcripts with authentication.
- Documentation of a Medical or Physical Examination.
- A copy of the lab results for blood.
- A scanned copy of a valid passport.
- Letter of acceptance from the university (this one is optional)
- Documentation of Language Competence (Chinese or English)
- Study proposal/plan
- Strategy for Research
- Intent letter/statement
- Letter of motivation
- Abstract for the doctoral thesis
Deadline for SGS Scholarships
The application submission deadline for Shanghai Government Scholarship is March 31, 2023.
List of Shanghai Universities to Opt for China Scholarships
Following are the Chinese Universities situated in Shanghai offering SGS and CSC Scholarships to international students.
- China Europe International Business School
- Donghua University
- East China Normal University
- East China University of Political Science and Law
- East China University of Science and Technology
- Fudan University
- NYU Shanghai
- Sanda University
- Shanghai Academy of Social Sciences
- Shanghai Business School
- Shanghai Conservatory of Music
- Shanghai Dianji University
- Shanghai Institute of Technology
- Shanghai International Studies University
- Shanghai Jian Qiao University
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University
- Shanghai Jiao Tong University School of Medicine
- Shanghai Lixin University of Accounting and Finance
- Shanghai Maritime University
- Shanghai Normal University
- Shanghai Ocean University
- Shanghai Polytechnic University
- Shanghai Theatre Academy
- Shanghai University
- Shanghai University of Electric Power
- Shanghai University of Engineering Science
- Shanghai University of Finance and Economics
- Shanghai University of International Business and Economics
- Shanghai University of Medicine & Health Sciences
- Shanghai University of Political Science and Law
- Shanghai University of Sport
- Shanghai University of Traditional Chinese Medicine
- Tongji University
- The University of Shanghai for Science and Technology